Bechamel Sauce (GF) (DF)
This creamy bechamel sauce is not only delicious but also gluten and dairy free. As a result it is perfect for Lasagnas, Casseroles and basically to accompany anything because creamy sauces are amazing. As I have not added any into the recipe, feel free to add a little grated cheese to give it something a little bit extra.
- 4tbsp of gluten-free flour*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2tbsp of dairy-free spread or coconut/olive oil
- 2 cups of lactose-free or coconut milk*
- In a pot with a capacity of at least 1L, melt the dairy-free spread or coconut/olive oil over a low heat.
- Once melted, add the salt, garlic powder and flour. Stir together with a wooden spoon until you can combine the roux into a ball.
- Then turn the heat up to medium and slowly add the milk about 100ml at a time whilst stirring continuously. This process will take approximately 5 minutes. (If you wanted a richer sauce you can sub out one of the cups of milk for lactose-free cream or even try some yoghurt).
- Continue to stir the sauce continuously until the sauce thickens and begins to bubble (this can take up to 15 minutes and it is important to be patient, patience is the key to a good bechamel sauce).
- Turn the heat down and continue to stir for a further 5-10 minutes until you are happy with the consistency of your sauce. You want the sauce to be about the thickness of real mayonnaise.