Bolognese Sauce (GF) (DF)
This bolognese sauce is a fairly traditional take on the Italian classic. Please note that this version of the sauce is primarily intended for use in a lasagna. When making it for spaghetti bolognese you can add in some celery and carrots with your onions at the beginning of the sauce, but honestly I prefer it without!
- 1 onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp dairy free spread
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of dried basil (or 4 fresh leaves chopped)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp of dried oregano (or 4 fresh leaves chopped)
- pinch of ground chilli
- 1/4 tsp of ground cumin
- 2 x 400ml cans of diced or chopped tomatoes
- 100ml of tomato paste
- 150ml red wine (such as Shiraz)
- 2 pinches of sugar
- 500g minced meat (I like to do half pork and half beef)
- In a large stock pot, add the butter and oil over a low heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add all of the herbs and stir until well combined.
- Add the cans of tomato and the wine and stir until well combined.
- Increase heat to medium and allow to saute for about an hour stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar and tomato paste. And here feel free to add additional salt to your liking.
- Add the mince and stir through.
- Increase the height of the pot and cook for a further 10 minutes until the meat is cooked through.