Crème Brûlée (GF) (DF)
This is the perfect way to enjoy a delicious dairy free crème brûlée. Just as creamy and delicious and gentler on your tummy. This is my favourite dessert!
- 1 can of full cream coconut milk.
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 5 egg yolks
- Start by preheating the oven to 160°C.
- Next, take a roasting dish or pyrex and place 4 ramekins inside with space in between them to allow for even cooking.
- Then put the coconut milk and vanilla bean paste on to boil over the stove in a small pot. And put the kettle on to boil.
- Remove the milk from the stove once it has been boiling for a couple of minutes.
- Next whisk the egg yolks and 50 grams of sugar until beaten into a creamy mixture.
- Then combine the milk and egg mixtures together.
- Pour some of the hot water from the kettle into the dish so that reaches approximately 2cm up the ramekins.
- Then pour the milk mixture into the ramekins, pouring almost all the way to the top.
- Place the dish, with the ramekins in it, into the oven for 30 minutes. They are ready to come out of the oven when they start to wobble like jelly when gently shaken.
- Remove the ramekins from the water bath and place in the refrigerator to set for 1 hour.
- Dampen the top of each of the crème brûlée with a little bit of water and then evenly sprinkle the remaining caster sugar to coat them.
- Set the oven to 200°C grill.
- Place the ramekins on the top rack of the oven and leave for 5-10 minutes. Check on them continuously.
- Allow to cool for approximately 20 minutes and then serve.