Fettuccine Carbonara (GF)
This creamy and indulgent pasta dish is the perfect comfort food for any occasion. Cream, bacon and pasta. Need I say more?
- Handmade Pasta, or a packet of store bought if you’re time poor.
- 100ml of Lactose free cream
- 50 grams Dairy free spread (canola or nut based is better for this recipe)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large egg yolks
- 100 grams Parmesan cheese
- 400 grams un-smoked bacon
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley to serve
- Start by cutting up the bacon into small pieces and then pan frying until it has reached your desired crispy-ness (I find too crispy in a carbonara doesn’t suit the dish).
- Once cooked, remove the bacon pieces from the pan for later.
- In the same pan (retaining the leftover oils) add the olive oil and butter. Melt and combine at a low heat on the stove.
- Next add the cream, garlic, salt and pepper and turn up the heat so that it starts to boil and reduce. Allow to cook like this for approximately 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Then turn down to a low setting and leave on the stove.
- It is now time to boil your pasta in a pot.
- Once boiled add the pasta and bacon to the sauce mix in your pan.
- Next add the egg yolks and 1/2 the Parmesan cheese.
- Increase the heat to medium on the stove and stir the ingredients through gently. You need to keep stirring the sauce fairly regularly so that the cheese melts through and so that the egg is absorbed into the sauce. Continue this for about 5 minutes.
- This dish is best served immediately with the additional Parmesan cheese, parsley, and a sprinkle of pepper on top.
Check out our Handmade Pasta recipe to compliment this dish.