Potato Bake (DF)
This dairy free yet creamy potato bake is the perfect side for roasts, steaks and lamb meals. It is absolutely delicious and can also be served as a stand alone meal if you’re in the mood for something full of carbs and cheese! My reccomendation is to always make extra as this one literally runs off the plate.
- 4 tbsp gluten free flour*
- 2 tbsp dairy-free spread or 4 tbsp of coconut or olive oil
- 1 cups of dairy free or coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1 cup of homemade chicken stock*
- 4-5 large potatoes
- 150g lactose-free cheese*
- Pre-heat your oven to 200°C or 180°C fan forced.
- Peel the potatoes and cook them in salted boiling water for 10 minutes to soften them. Take them out of the water and sit them to the side to cool.
- The sauce for this dish is essentially a verified bechamel sauce so to start making the sauce start by making a roux with the dairy-free spread/oil and flour and add the garlic powder, paprika, cumin and salt to the mix whilst the butter melts. Add the milk and chicken stock to create the bechamel sauce. For more instructions on how to make your bechamel sauce click here.
- Whilst the sauce is cooking and once the potatoes have cooled, slice the potatoes into lengths approximately 5mm thick (your potato bake will not be as light or evenly sauced if your slices are too thick.)
- Lightly oil the baking dish you choose to use (pyrex or ceramic are preferable).
- Start layering the bake by pouring approximately 5mm of sauce into your baking dish. Then add a layer of potatoes (try and use the whole surface of the baking dish).
- Repeat the layering finishing with a layer of the bechamel sauce on top.
- Shred the 150g of lactose-free cheese and sprinkle it over the layered potatoes and sauce.
- Place the baking dish in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
If you do not have homemade chicken stock (as this is quite time-consuming if not already lying around) you can just grab some lactose and gluten free chicken flavoured vegetable stock such as Kallo Organic Chicken Stock Cubes and add to a cup of boiling water.